9K gold contains only 37.5% pure gold, while 18K gold contains 75% pure gold. The second difference is the price. 9K gold contains more alloy metals than gold. Therefore, it is less expensive than 18K gold which contains more gold than alloy metals.
9K gold is stronger than higher karat gold. The other metals in 9K gold hardens it, making it a more durable choice. Higher durability means 9K gold doesn't easily wear and tear. This makes it last for longer.
Gold Status: 9 Karats Is Not Always Considered Gold!
For example, in the United States, 9-karat jewelry cannot be sold as gold. In order for an alloy to be considered gold in the U.S., it has to have a purity level of at least 10 karats.
The biggest advantage of 10K gold is its price. Because 10K gold is less pure than 14K gold, it usually costs significantly less to buy an engagement ring or other jewelry that's made from this type of gold. In addition to its lower price, 10K gold is slightly more durable than 14K gold.
Any alloy containing 9K gold has only a minor percentage "real" gold and for most jewelers is not actually considered "gold" at all. On the other hand, 14K has more real gold than it has its alternate metal counterpart and the higher purity comes with a higher price tag.
Pure gold never combines with oxygen, so it always stays shiny and doesn't rust, tarnish, or turn green over time. If you notice any of these changes in your jewelry, you can be sure that it is not made of solid gold.
A single gold carat is 1 part of a possible 24. So 18 carat gold is an alloy of 18 parts pure gold and 6 parts of another metal (most often copper). So 9 carat gold has 9 parts gold plus 15 parts of another metal.
Wearing solid gold jewelry, white gold or yellow gold, in the shower will not harm the metal itself, however it can reduce the shine therefore it is not recommended. Showering with gold plated jewelry can eventually cause the gold layer to wear off completely, therefore you should definitely refrain from doing so.
9ct gold (37.5% purity)
While pure yellow gold does not tarnish and will retain its original colour forever, the strong presence of alloys (the metals that make up 62.5 percent of 9ct gold) in 9ct gold are susceptible to discolouration. Special care is needed to ensure your 9ct gold jewellery keeps its original shine.
9K gold contains more alloy metals than gold. Therefore, it is less expensive than 18K gold which contains more gold than alloy metals.
The most popular types of solid gold used for jewellery are 9k, 14k and 18k. ... It will not wear away like gold filled or plated jewellery and can be easily melted down and re-used/recycled over and over again to create new pieces of jewellery.
Is it ok to wear 9ct gold? Yes! If it makes you happy, if you have considered the differences and if it means you can have the piece of jewellery you want within your budget, wear 9ct gold.
The Best: 24K Gold
24k gold is all parts gold without traces of other metals. Because of this, it has a uniquely rich, bright yellow hue. This pureness and rare color makes 24k gold highly desirable, the most expensive, and most often used in fine jewelry.
Solid gold is a great choice if you're looking for a lifetime piece you can wear everyday and everywhere - yes, even in the shower!
9ct white gold engagement rings.
White gold is more durable than silver, but not quite as durable as palladium or platinum. There is little difference between the durabilities of 9ct and 18ct white gold.
If you are looking to buy jewelry that you will wear every day, 10K gold may be a better choice since it may be more durable and resistant to scratches. A 14K gold ring that you wear very often, for example, will scratch and wear down faster. An additional bonus is that 10K gold is cheaper.
The most common type of gold used in jewelry in the U.S. is 14K and it was created to make a gold piece more affordable, at the expense of having less gold. This karat amount contains 58.3% gold, and similar to 18K, its strength is a good fit for rings and bracelets to necklaces and earrings.
375 Jewellery a.k.a 9 Karat Yellow Gold
If a gold product contains the hallmark '375', that means your gold is 9 karat – or 37.5 per cent pure. The remaining 62.5 per cent of the product is an alloy of different metals, like nickel, copper, or in some cases silver.
Why does the gold turns black? Gold turns black when some base metals alloyed with the gold react with or even to oxygen it can eventually discolor or even tarnish your gold jewelry. This Oxidation is working as the chemical reaction in which the electrons are lost.